Monday

Tweaking the grocery list

So I recently went from buying groceries the day after payday to shopping every Monday. Although I don't like to go every week this is working out really well for us right now. We are military and I try to shop the commissary but with it being about 20 minutes away I really have to plan in order for my trips to be worth it. I've posted on how combining my menu plan, grocery list and weekly schedule really helps me out. Last week I tweaked my grocery list by adding the ingredients to three recipes we use weekly and have now given them a coveted place in our weekly menu!! Seeing that I missed sharing recipes the last couple of weeks in my What's Up Wednesday post, I hope this will make up for that oversight ;)

For the dough:
1 T. (or 1 packet) yeast
1 c. warm water, divided 1 t. sugar
1/4 c. melted butter, cooled to room temperature (I melt the butter the night before, then put a top over the pot and let it sit overnight so it is ready for me to use in the morning when I start these!!)

2 1/2 – 3 c. flour
1 1/2 t. salt
In a mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in 1/4 warm water. Stir in the sugar and let sit to proof for 5 minutes. Pour in the melted and cooled butter and the remaining warm water. Add 2 c. flour and the salt. Mix for two minutes. Work in as much remaining flour as needed to make a dough that is smooth but not sticky. Knead on a floured surface or continue beating for about 10 minutes. Add a bit more flour if the dough starts to get sticky while kneading. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover. Let rise for 1 hour. Punch down dough, cover and let rise for at least another 30 minutes. Divide dough into 15 evenly sized balls. Roll out into a circle about 6 inches in diameter. Place filling on one half of the dough. Fold the remaining half over the top. Pinch closed and then seal with the tines of a fork. Repeat until done. If desired, brush melted butter over each pocket and sprinkle lightly with coarse salt. Bake at 375 degrees for 12-18 minutes, until lightly golden brown.

Breakfast Cookies
½ cup butter, softened                
1 cup peanut butter
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
2t vanilla
1/3 cup water
2 eggs
1 cup each all purpose & whole wheat flour
2 cups quick cooking oats
½ cup wheat germ
1t each salt, cinnamon
2t baking soda
With electric mixer beat together butter, peanut butter, brown sugar and vanilla until creamy. Beat in eggs and water. Mix together flours, oats, wheat germ, salt cinnamon, and baking soda. Combine with peanut butter mixture. Drop by ice cream scoopfuls 2 ½ inches apart on greased cookie sheets; flatten slightly. Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes then place on a cooling rack. You can store these in a airtight container for a couple of days.


Story-time Mac n Cheese
16oz pasta
¼ cup butter
1t Adobe or garlic salt
½ cup milk
¼ cup each parmesan and cheddar cheese
Cook pasta, drain. In sauce pan heat butter, garlic salt, milk and Parmesan cheese until combined. Pour over pasta and serve.(I cook, drain and rinse the pasta before we go to the library so that when we get back home all I have to do is add the remaining ingredients and warm it up.)

Happy Monday!!!

No comments: