Wednesday

Positive Uncertainty

They had us all lined up for the seasonal flu shot. It was something, I hated to get but had no choice now that I was government property. Hey that's what you are for 8 years. Anyway, as I finally made my way to the front of the line, there was a sign that read: "If you are pregnant or think you might be pregnant, please let the Corpsmen know."

Alot of bells started to go off in my head and things started to make sense. The inability to lose 5 pounds, 3 of which now had my 5'6" self out of regulations at a whooping 148 I was now overweight by Marine Corps standards. And although I hadn't missed a period, they were lighter and not like they use to be. So, I told the Corpsman that I thought I was pregnant and they sent me to get a test. Those were the longest 45 minutes of my life. Everything in the military life was always hurry up and then wait. But finally the tech handed me the white piece of paper and it said positive. I just looked at him and said, "Positive well what does that mean? Is it good or bad?" "Well that depends," the tech replied. "Do you want to be pregnant?" I just shook my head yes. "Then its good, congratulations." Wow, I was pregnant!!!

I was shocked......scared..........happy.........confused.....relieved!!!!! I headed back to the shot table and gave them a copy of my result and then headed back to my office to show my SSGT. I showed him the paper and honestly I think he was relieved for two reasons: 1) it explained my weight gain and 2) I was married. Our office had just went through a crazy year "all because another female Marine had gotten pregnant." (their words not mine) The pregnancy had made her extremely sick and she had lost weight, not gained it. After she had the baby she was able to get out of the Marine Corps. Its much harder to do that now but it use to be the norm and not the exception. (I share this, just to give you an idea of what life is like for females in the military, or at least the Marine Corps)

My husband was also a Marine but away at school at the time. He came home on the weekends so I couldn't wait to tell him but he already knew?!?! He said that the week before I had the "pregnancy glow." I spent all that week doing the paperwork dance with the military. So much fun and just when I had grown use to the idea of being pregnant, my world would turn upside down and I would no longer be the same.........

To be continued - just as life does

No comments: