Yesterday, Pastor Preston taught on the qualifications of a deacon as Providence Baptist Church will be accepting nominations for deacons next Sunday. I am a note taker in church and as as I was writing down the characteristics of a deacon, it hit me!!!! This is it, this is what I should be striving to instill in my boys!!! Before I go on I want to list, from 1 Timothy 3:8-13:
- temperate: *moderate or self-restrained; not extreme in opinion, statement,* mild in quality or character; exhibiting temperance
- self-controlled: *control or restraint of oneself or one's actions, feelings, etc.
- respectable: *worthy of respect or esteem; estimable; worthy
- hospitable:*receiving or treating guests or strangers warmly and generously, * characterized by or betokening warmth and generosity toward guests or strangers
- able to teach: *to impart knowledge or skill; give instruction
- not given to drunkenness:* not frequently or habitually drunk
- not violent but gentle
- not quarrelsome: *not argumentative; contentious
- not a lover of money
- manage own family
I know there are several items on this list that I can address immediately with my boys, how about you? What do you use to help guide you in raising and preparing your boys to be leaders of their family, communities, churches and maybe even our country?